Calcutta International Short Film Festival 2021
DECEMBER 17 - 19, 2021
There is an inherent quest within us to see other cultures, how beautiful they are, and what good they are doing. Cinema is one of the windows, which gives us the opportunity to see them and witness the greatness of our humanity. It is a magical tool that speaks a universal language, enabling the ability to unite people across the globe in an instant.
The nonprofit arts organization, Independent Film Society will host the second edition of the Calcutta International Short Film Festival (CISFF-2021) to exclusively showcase short films of different genres, tentatively with in-person screenings in the City of Joy, Kolkata, but with a pandemic contingency plan for a hybrid virtual event.
The CISFF-2021 also offers intimate and effective networking events for filmmakers (conducted through digital and live networking events and workshops, panels, and Master Classes), as well as an immersive experience for our audiences. We recognize filmmakers in all genres who tell great stories, celebrate diversity, and explore social issues while sparking meaningful discussion.
AWARDS & PRIZES
The following awards will be given at the 2nd Edition of the Calcutta International Short Film Festival:
- Best Short Film – Fiction
- Best Short Film – Animation
- Best Short Film – Experimental
- Best Short Film – Documentary
- Best Short Film – LGBTQ+ Section
- The Critic Choice Award
- The Audience Choice Award
- The Foundation Award
- Best Director Award
- Best Script Award
- Best Actor Award
- Best Editor Award
- Best Cinematography Award
RULES & TERMS
All submitted films should be produced on or after 1st January 2019 and meet with the selection criteria as described below:
- CISFF-2021 regards a submission as a short film if it is of a duration of 30 minutes or under.
- Short Films that are available in the public domain for purchase will not be eligible. This includes DVD/ Blu-ray/ Video-on-Demand/ OTT platforms/ online digital portals & websites.
- Promotional films are not eligible for submission in CISFF-2021 (e.g. films promoting tourism, charitable appeals, awareness campaigns, etc.)
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
By submitting your film into the CALCUTTA INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL 2021 (CISFF-2021), you expressly acknowledge that you are the rightful authorized person to submit the films and agree that you shall be bound by the following Terms & Conditions:
- Submission of a film to the CISFF-2021 does not guarantee its selection as nomination/ official selection/ award. All the films submitted to CISFF-2021 will be reviewed by our panel of jury and the announcement of the nominees/ official selections/ winners will be intimated to the individual filmmakers by email as well listed on our website/ social media profiles. Any form of canvassing will lead to the disqualification of the submission at CISFF-2021.
- All submissions under the Short Fiction – Competition section invites submission presented for the Kolkata premiere.
- All the official selections/ nominees will receive a certificate and laurels. Only the winners chosen by the judges will receive the awards.
- All the selected nominees/ winners who would be unable the awards ceremony of CISFF-2021 will be contacted by our organizer team to have their certificates/ awards delivered to them.
- All the submissions must not be longer than 30 min (including credits).
- All submissions must have English subtitles. Any submission received without English subtitles will be summarily rejected.
- A filmmaker may submit more than one film in a category and more than one category at a time.
- The CISFF-2021 reserves the right to refuse entries.
- The CISFF-2021 is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted for promotional purposes of the festival. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements, rules, and regulations.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the CISFF-2021, from and against all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred because of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, and publicity.
- The CISFF-2021 will not refund any fees if the filmmaker fails to submit the film in the correct category. Films submitted without the correct fees or proper submission media may be deemed ineligible at the discretion of the CISFF-2021 festival director. The festival does not cover any of the expenses incurred by the filmmaker.
- After a film has been an official selection, the filmmaker will be notified via email, and eventually, the film will be listed on the festival website/ social media profiles under Official Selections. The Official Selection status doesn’t mean that your film will be screened at the festival. It means that your film has been appreciated by our judges of the panel and you can use the festival logo on your poster.
- A filmmaker’s submission fee will not be reimbursed if they decide to withdraw their submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- We require an official trailer or poster, synopsis, and a screener link to your film. Please select the correct category while submitting to avoid disqualification. We reserve the right to re-assign films to the appropriate category.
- CISFF-2021 may without advance notice amend these Rules & Terms from time to time. Each such amendment shall become effective immediately. It is the filmmakers’ responsibility to periodically check for updates of these Rules & Terms.
- Participation in the Calcutta International Short Film Festival automatically entails observance of the present laws and regulations of India. Producers, distributors, or other parties who submit films to the Festival must guarantee they are legally authorized to do so.
- All filmmakers understand and accept that if their film is nominated/ accepted for screening at the film festival, they grant full and unrestricted permission for CISFF-2021 to screen the film at times of the festival’s choice and to charge an admission fee for the screening of the film.
- The Filmmaker understands and accepts that they do not participate in receiving any funds from the Box-office proceeds which are fully retained by the festival to help cover the overall cost of the festival presentation. It should be noted for the record that box-office proceeds never cover the cost of presentation of the short film programs.
- The Filmmaker accepts and understands that the festival will do everything possible to present the films in the best possible manner but the festival (CISFF-2021) is not responsible for any malfunctions during the presentation of the production at its festival screening. All entries are carefully pre-screened before the public showing to assure that the screenings do perform to the industry standards. The Festival (CISFF-2021) assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of this video at the actual event.
- The Festival reserves the right to adjudicate any cases not covered by the Regulations herein and can make exceptions to the Regulations in justified, well-motivated cases. Should any dispute arise regarding the interpretation of any article contained in these regulations, the original Indian laws are to be considered binding.
- The Filmmaker understands that the festival will take every possible measure to protect and control the viewing of their entry/ screener link. The festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations, or piracy of the entry.
November 15, 2021
This section is devoted to the search for new filmmaking talents and young international cinematographic creation. The Film Foundation section will select fifteen to twenty short and medium-length films from film schools across the globe.